The art collection includes exceptional museum pieces, acclaimed both nationally and internationally, such as the Chinese ceramic collection.
This house, winner of the 1905 Valmor Architecture Award and the former Studio of the painter José Malhoa, was purchased in 1932 by the ophthalmologist and art collector Dr António Anastácio Gonçalves (1888-1965), who used the house to display his impressive collection, which he wished to bestow to the State.
The collection includes a wide variety of objects, in particular Portuguese 19th century naturalist paintings and decorative art pieces, highlighted by an exquisite collection of Chinese porcelain.
Visitors to this house-museum can view the collections in the welcoming and day-to-day ambience of a house that is also a museum.
Besides the display, study and preservation of the permanent collection, the house-museum offers guided thematic visits and artistic expression workshops to foster life-long art learning experiences.
The house-museum also features free concerts, colloquiums and conferences.