This romantic pavilion in Pena Park was inspired by Swiss mountains houses. However, most of the materials used, including the cork and the masonry, are from Portugal.
Lying within the Pena Park, the Chalet of the Countess of Edla was built in 1870, on the orders of the Prince Consort Fernando II.
This fascinatingly romantic and highly scenic pavilion was inspired by the houses found in the Swiss mountains.
However, most of the materials used in its construction were sourced locally, including all the cork and masonry.
The surrounding garden and park, with their leafy vegetation, are populated with botanical species that were brought in from all over the world.
Of particular interest are the arboreal ferns from Australia and New Zealand.