The Mitra or Archbishops’ Palace

The former summer residence of, first, the archbishops and, then, the patriarchs of Lisbon.

Tomás de Almeida ordered the building of this summer residence for the patriarchs in 1730. The complex, which is arranged around a square, comprises a palace, a church, gardens and a palace-fountain. It also includes an aqueduct that supplies the Baroque fountain. The Italian architect António Canevari was put in charge of the project. He was certainly responsible for the fountain built into the front of the palace-fountain, where the royal family would reside.